Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Help by: Kathryn Stockett

Okay, so this was absolutely an amazing book. I loved everything about it. I think I personally felt a little more connected to it because I spent four years in the south, South Carolina, for college so I saw first hand the type of segregation and level of racism that still sadly exists. Coming from the West I was really confused when I went to the south and experienced the differences. The book really creates a vivid picture of what it must have been like and it is really something people should be aware of. I found it especially interesting that the author had first hand experience being raised by help. I think that made the book more special and real.

I was so into this book that I didn't really take much time to highlight as many parts of the book as I should have, but here are a couple things:

"Mother's been nagging me about my smoking and I know I should stop, but its not like its going to kill me."

"Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought."

No comments:

Post a Comment