Saturday, May 14, 2011

Something Borrowed by: Emily Giffin

This book captivates you from the beginning, very easy and fun read. AND I'm sure a lot of people can relate to many of the characters in the book, whether they see them in themselves or if they remind them of people they know and interact with in their own lives. I definitely had this experience and I felt like I was reading something that was very real. There are four (I think, maybe five...) other books in this series and I am very excited to read the next three or four. I have a 14 hour plane ride on Monday so I suspect I will get through a couple then. Just like with "The Help," I was so focused on reading and finishing this book that I didn't take much time out to highlight good points in the book. I have only one to share with you:

"When you are in a relationship, you are aware that it might end. You might grow apart, find someone else simply fall out of love. But a friendship isn't a zero-sum game, and as such, you assume that it will last forever, especially an old friendship. You take its permanence for granted, which might be the very thing that is so dear about it."

This quote touched me a lot, because I really felt that it was applicable as an explanation for why I do and do not do things in regards to relationships. I have a hard time letting go of things and people that have touched my life in special ways, I feel safer in a friendship because as this quote says, friendships are something that don't predict an end, but a stable support system that can last a lifetime. I find comfort in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment